Sunday, November 12, 2006

settling down

Life is settling down after a few months and it feels like I have an established 'life' here which I will be so sad to leave. I feel the weeks coming closer and closer to the end. Last night I was invited to my friend's place from university for a cocktail party. It was amazing and I had so much fun even if I froze my little Australian ass off in the mountain. She lives near San Bruno mountain and I'm not sure of the exact place it is, but it has one of the most spectacular views across to the city and the outer suburbs of San Francisco and Oakland. I tried a Dirty Martini and it was the worst - I just don't like martini's i've decided. Nothing against the maker and shaker but i've decided i'm just not a martini girl. Neil made some delicious quiche and we had tiramasu for desert and more drinks. I am still taken a back by the generosity of people in this town. Just when I think I can't go on someone pops their head around the corner and helps and it just all comes together. But then there is this other side of SF which is far more inhumane on a bigger level... the homelessness. I am getting tired of seeing poverty and people crying out for help but seeing a government turn a blind eye on it all and force a few small agencies take on the work but are far to underfunded and staffed to make a big enough impact. It's quite sad and i've had plenty of conversations about this and basically it all comes down to a few bad choices on behalf of San Francisco and American policy as a whole. But back to my dinner. We played a board game and I was delighted to get a lift all the way home afterwards.
Today was pretty mundane. I cleaned my apartment room and went shopping for groceries which is always a bit of fun in Chinatown. It's always so crazy to see all the dried goods stinking out the front of shops. It's about a quater of the price of the shops and it's all more fun trying to squeeze your way through a thousand chinese people shopping as well.
Okay, Alberto needs the computer so I am signing off and i'll try and update later when I wake up a bit more.
Rob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home