Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Shooting Stars

So it's been a while - I hear your pleas for more... well not really and maybe no one is reading but this is an excellent procrastination tool.

I've done a lot since I last posted. Mostly it's been trying to figure out how to live and breathe in a place that makes you do crazy things. Since last post I have been to a burlesque show to see the Suicide Girls parade around in basically nothing and kick up the floor with really great choreography and 'sharp pointy metal things'... I think you could amount it to a tasteful and choreographed strip show... with said sharp objects, fire, alcohols and tattoos.

I've also been around town exploring the architecture of San Francisco. One thing that never ceases to amaze me is how beautiful and eclectic this place is. In one street there are amazing Victorian houses all painted different colours with bay windows and fine architrave around windows and doors. Some houses have a Gothic feel while others are more modern and lightly painted with pastel blues, yellows and pinks. In another part of the city you get the modern square design that's "oh so trendy", and yet walk 15 minutes down the road and it’s something different again. That's what this place is - a mish mash of people and design coming together and creating something quite unique.

Last week I made a new friend who drove me across the Golden Gate Bridge and to a look out at North bay where we sat and took in the view. I felt like I was in one of those movies where you see the ships coming into port, hear the fog horns and watch the luminescent bridge fill up and empty with cars. It's actually not a really great bridge to drive across due to the fact there is no barrier between cars going in the opposite direction - scary as hell when your on the wrong side of the road. Then we headed out to Ocean Beach and sat under the stars with the bonfire going. Firstly the beaches pretty much have black sand and secondly THEY ARE TOO COLD! I wore a jumper, two shirts and a blanket and I was still freezing - but this is San Francisco weather for you. All in all I saw something like 6 shooting stars and had a really wicked night out.

Grocery shopping is getting easier now I have figured out where to go. Chinatown! Except inside Chinatown you actually feel like you have left America and entered into a Bejing marketplace. One side of the street is scarier than the other in that you enter on the right and there are some gross dried shrimp and what not but the left side has the fish still swimming in buckets, crazy kinds of meats hanging from the windows and water from god knows what that spills out onto the street. Beware - enter the right side of Chinatown.

University is slowly settling down and I am entering into a pattern that makes sense to me without adding and dropping classes left, right, and centre. I still don't like some parts of classes and the way they are run - but what can you do?

I got tickets for the Dresden Dolls for Friday 13th of Oct. I didn't think I would ever get to see them live again - but how perfect that they make a suprise visit on Friday the 13th!!! I think it was meant to be.

I have a meeting to scoot off to since I am Assistant Stage Manager on a show at uni... wooo!!

Luv Rob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home